Homeowner Resources

If you're thinking of moving to the area or building a new house, check out these resources for building and buying in Homer, Anchor Point and surrounding areas

Return to HomePage

Finding Property

Kenai Peninsula Borough
MLS Alaska:
One of the best online resources for searching all available properties and homes in Alaska is the Alaska Multiple Listing Service. By visiting the MLS website you can search properties listed by all agents at once, and browse according to criteria you choose (location, price, size etc.)

KPB Maps:
The Kenai Peninsula Borough maps provide information on properties within the Borough, while giving viewers an overall picture of property locations relative to nearby towns and other properties. These maps are a valuable resource for prospective buyers as you can search by area and parcel number, see assessed values and information on neighboring properties, and much more.

Building Permits

Building Permit:
All new construction and home additions within Homer city limits require a building permit. Building permits can be obtained through the City of Homer Planning Dept. and require a fee.

Driveway Permits:
Construction of new driveways within Homer city limits require a driveway permit, issued by Homer Public Works. There is currently no application online, please contact Dan Gardner at Public Works to acquire a permit.

  Construction of a new driveway connecting to a State maintained road requires a Driveway/Approach Road permit issued by the State of Alaska Department of Transportation. If you have questions on whether this permit applies to you, follow the above link and contact your local region with questions.

  Construction of a new driveway connecting to a Kenai Peninsula Borough right-of-way requires a Driveway Permit issued by the KPB Road Service Area office. Other permit information regarding Borough right-of-ways can be found at the Road Service website.  

Home Energy Rebate Program

If your building a new home in Alaska, you may qualify for an "Energy Rebate" funded by the government through Alaska Housing Finance Corporation. Along with giving cash back for new construction, there are also funds available for weatherization improvements made on existing homes.
Alaska Housing Finance Corporation
5 Star Plus Energy Rating on new construction may receive a rebate up to $7,500.00
  Energy Rebate Information  
The $7,500.00 rebate is subject to funding and currently is not taking any more applicants, however you can sign up on the waiting list for when more funds become available which happens on a daily basis as other applicants drop out of fail to meet the requirements of the program.  
For more information on other home rebate programs or the weatherization program visit Alaska Housing Finance Corporations energy wepage. Whether your house is new or just new-to-you, there may be a rebate program you can take advantage of.

Owner/Builder Tax Exempt Card

If your building within the Kenai Peninsula Borough, you can apply for an Owner Builders Tax Exempt Card. This certificate will exempt you from Borough Sales Tax on all items purchased as permanent fixtures of your new home (or other project). The certificate costs $100.00, and will exempt you from sales tax for one year.